View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #701
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I love Flashback... or did, when I played it on the Genesis. I should go back and revisit it myself one of these days. Does anyone here have an opinion on its sequel, Fade to Black?

I beat RE4 (and unlocked all the guns) and Half-Life 2 over the last couple of weeks. I think RE4 had better action, mostly because having different pain animations depending on where the enemy is hit makes a huge, huge difference. The game's core combat system is just a lot of fun, and I'm glad the makers gave us Mercenaries so we can more easily play around with it.

Half-Life 2 is amazing for other reasons though, and I think its the better game overall. It spent a lot of time and energy establishing a good setting, which to me is just as important as having good action. Neither game had a particularly good plot, but HL2's world felt imaginitive and alive, and it made some degree of sense. RE4's did not.

Anyway, I'm really only comparing the two because I played them back to back. Both games are pretty amazing.

Also! I played through a little game called Doukutsu Monogatari... or Cave Story according to the translation patch. It looks and feels like a very good 8-bit Nintendo game, but was released as a freeware PC game in 2004. Also, I hear it was made entirely by one person, who doesn't even work in the game industry. Worth checking out, if only as inspiration for your own independent development projects.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote