GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Industry News (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   3DS second circle pad rumour (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18876)

JLB1987 08-23-2011 05:03 PM

3DS second circle pad rumour

Just read an article about how the Nintendo 3DS may be redesigned, with an additional circle pad. Sounds pretty unlikely to me, but if it is true, it would definitely spark my interest in the system. Whilst the touch screen has been put to great use in previous DS games to do things like control the camera or movement, the option of a more conventional control method appeals to me.

What does everybody else think?

FidgetyAcolyte 08-23-2011 08:20 PM

Re: 3DS second circle pad rumour

On one hand I think the only thing better then their current analog/slide pad would be two analog slide pads.

On the other hand, it'd really make me regret recently purchasing a 3DS.

frogofdeath 08-24-2011 04:25 PM

So would that mean Nintendo would set up another "ambassador" program? :D While I don't want to say never to this type of redesign, especially with Nintendo handhelds, my guess would be this will not be happening any time soon.

JLB1987 08-24-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogofdeath (Post 198000)
So would that mean Nintendo would set up another "ambassador" program? :D While I don't want to say never to this type of redesign, especially with Nintendo handhelds, my guess would be this will not be happening any time soon.

Lol, if they did do such a radical re-design so early on, they'd have to offer something pretty spectacular to smooth this one over. They can't really win with this one either way, in my opinion; if they do add a second circle pad this early on, anyone who bought a 3DS at launch or whatever will be pissed off (and fair enough, really). If they add it on too late, developers won't really have much incentive to start utilising it.

RandomRob 08-24-2011 07:03 PM

I think having two analog stick type controls most readily lends itself to FPS style gameplay, which is never going to be a strong genre on a console with a 3.5 inch screen and poor distance rendering.

I think this rumor is baloney.

That being said, if it's NOT, I think I'm just about done with Nintendo for now. The 3DS titles I have are, with the exception of Shadow Wars, pretty gimmicky, and not much else. I think 3D is great as an effect for games that don't need it, like Shadow Wars, and a bit of a mess where judging distance is important, like Ridge Racer or Pilotwings... I cant help moving my head when I play these action games, and that costs me with double vision images and watering eyes until I reorient my head. Do that a couple of times and I'm done playing.

So I feel Ive traded my nice big DSi XL for a 3DS which has a smaller screen, less room to hold it and press buttons, and preloaded shovelware.

I feel like Nintendo has taken a crap on my head, basically. I'm tired of their bullsh*t.

abfackeln 08-25-2011 11:59 AM

If they announce a re-design now, how do they expect to sell systems throughout the holiday?

Feel like I keep getting screwed by Nintendo. Have no trust in them anymore.

My 3DS will be the Super Mario 3D Land machine and that is about it.

JLB1987 09-08-2011 04:19 AM

Looks like the rumours were true.

Part of me is amused by this, part of me isn't that surprised... overall, though, even as someone who *hasn't* bought a 3DS (and someone who was probably going to get one at some point, after the Vita comes out and I can compare games), this has lowered my confidence in Nintendo to an all-time low.

I'm now thinking "fuck it", when it comes to the 3DS, and am looking at getting a DS Lite to replace my current original DS as I type this. I can't imagine how early adopters of the 3DS must feel.

RandomRob 09-08-2011 08:27 AM

I like the ergonomics of the DSiXL best. Feels best, looks best.

frogofdeath 09-08-2011 09:46 PM

Well I was wrong! This is ridiculous. At the very least, they should have coupled this second slide pad announcement (and redesign?) with the price cut. Was leaning more and more towards picking up a 3DS, but now not sure. How many more changes will Nintendo make in the next months and year?

crackajack 09-09-2011 03:35 AM

This looks just like an accessory like an arcade stick for bemus or a wheel for racing games or much rather like the motion+, nothing all future games will need and thus never really become a standard. At least it will be cheaper for Monster Hunter fans to get their special input device.

But it really makes an odd picture when Nintendo was too cheap to add this from start. Certainly devs can do all sorts of games without it, but two sticks was one dominant lacking feature of the PSP so why not add it anyway. Allowing shooters and camera control on ported games, or whatever, can hardly be bad for Nintendos success.

Nintendo had insane success the last/current generation but could have done much better with a little more investing in their hardware power and now better incorporating the standards given by their competitors. The wii-u looks like it wants to but the 3DS looks even more rushed out to me than ever.

Li-Ion 09-09-2011 04:27 AM

I think I'll buy a Vita instead.

JLB1987 09-09-2011 04:39 AM

Nintendo have a bit of a history when it comes to releasing redesigned versions of their current hand-held consoles. And that's fine; I got my original DS right before the Lite was announced, and it didn't really bother me. Whilst I wish I waited a while, it wasn't like I was missing out on anything, either.

The same can't really be said for this. They've disillusioned the people who have already bought a 3DS, and if the reaction on here is anything to go by, people aren't going to want to take the plunge with the 3DS (redesigned or not) now.

As Li-Ion says, if I am getting either next gen portable, it will be a Vita. For now, my DS is still just fine after five-or-so years.

Kin Korn Karn 09-12-2011 09:29 PM

Looks cludgey, like something Madcatz would make and will be available in huge quantities in plastic baggies at your local Gamestop for a ridiculous markup in about two years :)

Kin Korn Karn 09-12-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomRob (Post 198206)
I like the ergonomics of the DSiXL best. Feels best, looks best.

Agree 100%. Especially for us "adults".

RandomRob 09-13-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn (Post 198268)
Agree 100%. Especially for us "adults".

also, late discovery, the sound is pretty nice if you plug in headphones. Higher quality than I wouldve thought.