GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music & Podcasts (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Suggest an album. (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16066)

Adelleda 08-29-2009 03:43 PM

Suggest an album.

Thought this might be a good thread. What are you listening to? What would you suggest to others?

Right now i'm loving Far by Regina Spektor, its got alot of different stylistic components to some of her earlier work, but as a whole its a great album, with some amazing songs.

Regina Spektor - Laughing with:

Also, The new Enter Shikari Album, Common Dreads. I don't know how big these guys are in the states, they're massive over here in the uk. However I never really felt all of the hype, and never really liked their first album. This one however is a different ball game, its definatly not to everyones taste, but is quite a refreshing change in direction for them, while still keeping true to the style of the first album.

Enter Shikari -Juggernauts:

Mike Doolittle 08-30-2009 03:59 PM

Re: Suggest an album.

I just bought The Miskolc Experience by the symphonic metal band Therion. It's absolutely awesome. The first half of the album is their arrangements of numerous classical pieces from Verdi, Wagner, Mozart, etc. The second half is nine of their songs arranged to take advantage of the full orchestra and choirs. It's definitely different and kind of out there, but it's just exceptionally well done.

Arctic Blast 08-30-2009 04:07 PM

Powder Burns by The Twilight Singers...a pretty good guitar rock band. They did some music for the show Rescue Me, which is where I got in to their stuff. There isn't really a standout track on the album, but it's one of those rare ones that I listen to from beginning to end without skipping anything.

abfackeln 09-02-2009 07:16 PM

Two albums that really stood out for me this year have been the new Silversun Pickups and VNV Nation.

People seam to like or... not like the Silversun Pickups. I like them obviously. Their music has great atmosphere. Especially their slower songs. They are incredible live. Better than on CD and there are few band that you can say that about. If they ever release a live album I am buying it.

VNV Nation is a consistently good electronic act from the UK (now based in Germany). The more I listened to the new album the more I liked it.

I am sure that there are other great albums that are out there. I just haven't got around to them yet.

Vince 09-03-2009 12:05 PM

Depeche Mode's Sound of the Universe is an awesome listen.

Marilyn Manson's High End of Low is alright but not as good as Antichrist Superstar or Mechanical Animals. I like it better than The Golden Age of Grotesque.

Mike Doolittle 09-07-2009 03:32 PM

A friend of mine saw Manson on the Mayhem tour recently, and said he was disappointingly PG.

Adelleda 09-07-2009 06:46 PM

The new album from The Used, Artwork is quite an epic album. More heavy than alot of their prior stuff, but still the Used, if you're a fan, give it a listen.

Blood on my Hands:

Vince 09-08-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doolittle (Post 173253)
A friend of mine saw Manson on the Mayhem tour recently, and said he was disappointingly PG.

Doesn't surprise me. Same with Nails and Janes Addiction. Time to move on to the next shock rockers.

(Not that NIN was ever a shock rocker, but still has rocked harder in years past)

abfackeln 09-08-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince (Post 173285)
Time to move on to the next shock rockers.

You may or may not like Combichrist. I really enjoyed their new album and I always have a good time seeing them live.

Arctic Blast 09-08-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince (Post 173285)
Doesn't surprise me. Same with Nails and Janes Addiction. Time to move on to the next shock rockers.

(Not that NIN was ever a shock rocker, but still has rocked harder in years past)

I really enjoyed that last NIN tour...the visual stage effects were incredible.

Vince 09-08-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abfackeln (Post 173304)
You may or may not like Combichrist. I really enjoyed their new album and I always have a good time seeing them live.

That sounds pretty good, though I tire of the deep throat groups. Only Al Jourgensen has that spot in my heart. I have an album by a group called 'Drown' - Hold On To The Hollow. I tried to find a video on youtube but didn't find one. The album released in 1994, this group really reminds me of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Blast (Post 173307)
I really enjoyed that last NIN tour...the visual stage effects were incredible.

Did you see the Downward Spiral tour? That was awesome. And having the Jim Rose Circus of Freaks made it even that more interesting.

gamevet 09-09-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince (Post 173321)
That sounds pretty good, though I tire of the deep throat groups.

The music sounds pretty good; I just can't stand it when the frontman sounds like he's taking the world's biggest dump.

abfackeln 09-09-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamevet (Post 173326)
The music sounds pretty good; I just can't stand it when the frontman sounds like he's taking the world's biggest dump.

Here is the same singer a few years ago in his old band Icon of Coil. This is before he started to sing like he was taking a dump.

abfackeln 09-09-2009 02:44 PM

Celldweller is a pretty good industrial rock group. This is not one of my favorite songs. They are a little too mainstream sounding to me, but still good. Their music has been in games like Project Gotham.

A better example of a good new(er) industrial rock group is Flesh Field. I really like this song.

...okay one more. This is a great new electro industrial band, Destroid. This band is made up by a former member of Haujobb.

Adelleda 09-09-2009 06:49 PM

I've never been the biggest industrial music fan, and I used to hate combichrist, though i'm liking their newer stuff. May have been more of a case of them being forced upon me by my ex, I think I may have just hated them by default.

Celldweller sound quite good I may just look into them, though at times they seem to sound too linkin park for my tastes.

Also, while i'm up for all the music discussion, if anyone mentions neuroticfish during this industrial discussion, I may go on a GameCritics killing spree. :o

Had anybody heard the new Killswitch Engage album yet? Its a damn good one.

Also I thought it may be a good idea to post links to vids from the artists I mentioned earlier, i'll do so in my original posts.

I also feel now might be the time to introduce everyone to one of my all time favourite bands ever lolz. Dir En Grey. J-rock at its finest, although it is quite difficult to classify their music into one genre, beleive me I've tried. Theres just so much diversity in their music, along with plenty of aggression and emotion. And their has some actual meaning to it in the modern day, going from topics of rape to social politics. I actually wrote a 30 minute seminar presentation on their music, image and social impact for university. Quite good.

Hydra: