GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Next-Gen Console Games (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Red Ring of Death hits me (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13624)

Gene Park 02-24-2008 04:32 AM

Red Ring of Death hits me
 
I just got RROD'ed. I'm fucking pissed. My roommate's been leaving the Xbox on all night watching movies, and now this happens.

OK guys, what do I do now and how do I deal with this? (besides kicking the living shit out of my roommie)

videochilex 02-24-2008 07:15 AM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Park (Post 146324)
I just got RROD'ed. I'm fucking pissed. My roommate's been leaving the Xbox on all night watching movies, and now this happens.

OK guys, what do I do now and how do I deal with this? (besides kicking the living shit out of my roommie)

call xbox support and have it ready and packed to be mailed to them with the consignment details they provide.

jdingo 02-24-2008 08:26 AM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Park (Post 146324)
I just got RROD'ed. I'm fucking pissed. My roommate's been leaving the Xbox on all night watching movies, and now this happens.

OK guys, what do I do now and how do I deal with this? (besides kicking the living shit out of my roommie)

It's really not your roommate's fault that the 360 is such a fragile piece of kit.

By the way, my 360 RRODed weeks ago. I called XBox support on January 26. The coffin arrived on February 5. I packed my 360 and sent it to Microsoft the following day: February 6. It arrived in Texas on February 14. It's now February 24 and there is no sign of a repair or replacement.

So it's basically been a month since the call to Microsoft. And I'm still waiting.

It's a good thing I have a second 360.

- jdingo

Gene Park 02-24-2008 02:16 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Why the hell do you have two 360s?

I know it may not be my roommate's fault. But I had no freezing problems and disc read errors before he moved in, and now this happens just three weeks after he's been living with me and watching his stupid Cheech and Chong movies and leaving it on while he falls asleep?

I'm pretty sure this could've been delayed at the very least.

Whatever. I'm sorry to post yet another RROD thread, but like everywhere else on the 'Net, my grief was so great I needed an immediate output. And I just wanted to let Chi and Brad and you know that you're not the only ones.

I guess I'll be spending plenty of time with the Wii for the next month or so...

angelus223 02-24-2008 07:16 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
This is exactly why I will never own an Xbox 360.

gamevet 02-24-2008 10:03 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
That sucks!

There is an autoshutoff setting in the menu section, though it takes 6 hours before it shuts down. They should update that to what the user wants.

Song Jiang 02-24-2008 11:31 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Dude, that sucks. I love my 360 - even though I don't have that many games for it, I've absolutely loved every single game I've purchased for the system. In terms of high quality gaming, it's definitely given me more hours of pure enjoyment and satisfaction than the Wii.

My RROD experience, though, has seriously negated a great deal of the goodwill I felt towards Microsoft after all that excellent gaming. As I am living overseas on a State Department assignment, I have to use the APO system, which really complicated my efforts to get my 360 fixed.

Long story short - over 12 phone calls trying to convince Microsoft to use the APO system, having them get the shipping address wrong 4 consecutive times, and over 6 months without my 360.

To add insult to injury, Bioshock arrived in the mail the exact same day the system RROD'd, so I "enjoyed" a good six months of studying the beautiful package art....

Despite all that good gaming, if I get another RROD, I'm definitely going Son-Wii for this generation - especially now that I can count on the machine as a next-gen video player (BluRay).

Damn it, Microsoft, even when you get it so right you can get it so fucking wrong. It's like being stuck in an impossibly abusive relationship with an incredibly hot chick...

calintz 02-24-2008 11:51 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
is this only happening to 360's made before November 2007?

i haven't had problems with mine (yet... fingers crossed) but the back says it was made in Nov last year, and I turn the console off every night...
doesn't seem to heat up at all...

just one question tho:
have you all got warranty on the 360?
if mine does RRoDs, would I need warranty paid for to be able to call Microsoft and ask for repairs?

Gene Park 02-25-2008 01:59 AM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calintz (Post 146364)
is this only happening to 360's made before November 2007?

i haven't had problems with mine (yet... fingers crossed) but the back says it was made in Nov last year, and I turn the console off every night...
doesn't seem to heat up at all...

just one question tho:
have you all got warranty on the 360?
if mine does RRoDs, would I need warranty paid for to be able to call Microsoft and ask for repairs?

No, the warranty comes with the purchase of the Xbox 360. They extended the warranty of all boxes to three years. Mine was only a year before the extension, and I wouldn't have been eligible if not for them owning up to their screwups.

So to answer your question, no you don't have to pay. Microsoft is willing to swallow $1 billion to replace all 360s that face the Red Ring of Death.

When I called consumer support, I confirmed with them that I am seeing three red flashing lights. They asked me to turn it off, check the AC adapter color (it should be green) and wait 10 seconds. I turned it back on again and it was still flashing red.

Afterward they told me they were sending me the packaging "casket" and asked me to remove the hard drive and face plate. I was to send it back to them within 22 days, where they will test the box. Plus they throw in a free gold subscription to Xbox Live for one month, even though I don't get the point since I am already a subscriber.

videochilex 02-25-2008 02:53 AM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Park (Post 146367)
No, the warranty comes with the purchase of the Xbox 360. They extended the warranty of all boxes to three years. Mine was only a year before the extension, and I wouldn't have been eligible if not for them owning up to their screwups.

So to answer your question, no you don't have to pay. Microsoft is willing to swallow $1 billion to replace all 360s that face the Red Ring of Death.

When I called consumer support, I confirmed with them that I am seeing three red flashing lights. They asked me to turn it off, check the AC adapter color (it should be green) and wait 10 seconds. I turned it back on again and it was still flashing red.

Afterward they told me they were sending me the packaging "casket" and asked me to remove the hard drive and face plate. I was to send it back to them within 22 days, where they will test the box. Plus they throw in a free gold subscription to Xbox Live for one month, even though I don't get the point since I am already a subscriber.


you could always ebay your subscription

Brad Gallaway 02-25-2008 08:35 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Sorry to hear it Gene, that completely sucks.

(and sorry to you too, Song... my in-laws live overseas and they have weekly horror stories about the APO system.)

If the 360 wasn't such a kick-ass system, i'd have sworn it off for the RROD issue alone, but damn it if i don't enjoy it the most out of the current 3 consoles by a country mile... it's not even a contest.

BTW Gene, don't use the month of free Live -- i cashed mine in thinking i'd get a free month and i did, but the shitty part is that the gold subscription cancels after the month, and does not auto-revert back to your ccard... you'll have to re-subscribe manually through your console.

it's completely retarded... "here, have a free month on us, and then have another hassle when you take us up on it."

: P

gamevet 02-26-2008 09:51 AM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calintz (Post 146364)
is this only happening to 360's made before November 2007?

i haven't had problems with mine (yet... fingers crossed) but the back says it was made in Nov last year, and I turn the console off every night...
doesn't seem to heat up at all...

The 360 Elite (@Sept/Oct) was the first 360s to have the cooler running Falcon chipset and raised heat sink(over the GPU). I believe MS also changed the fan settings for the console as well.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that the older 360's fans didn't turn on, until the console started getting warm. My 360's (November 2007) fans turn on as soon as I turn the console on; It appears to run much cooler than my PS3.

Gene Park 02-26-2008 12:16 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
So what the hell, the month subscription is useless than isn't it?

I mean, even if I do use it and it ends up cancelling my account, I'd have to pay an extra $50 to restart my old subscription, even though the old subscription didn't even finish the year's worth?

Ugh. I'll probably just give it as a gift to a new subscriber instead.

jdingo 02-27-2008 08:22 AM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
I received my replacement Xbox 360 yesterday, one month to day after I called XBox Support.

It is a refurbished unit that was manufactured in July 2006, and probably previously owned by some grubby nine-year-old with a questionable commitment to hygiene.

- jdingo

gamevet 02-27-2008 09:39 PM

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdingo (Post 146453)
I received my replacement Xbox 360 yesterday, one month to day after I called XBox Support.

It is a refurbished unit that was manufactured in July 2006, and probably previously owned by some grubby nine-year-old with a questionable commitment to hygiene.

- jdingo

I'd guess that means you didn't get a board with the Falcon chipset.

I'd keep your hard drive, sell the console, and go get an arcade unit. You'll at least have a more reliable 360.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2010 GameCritics.com. All rights reserved.